Emmet had a business conference this weekend in Santa Monica, Ca. He goes quarterly and has wanted me to go with him the last 3 times, but with a young baby and nursing....I just couldn't pull it off. But, this time I got to go. My mom watched the kids (thank you mom!!!)...and Emmet and I stole away for 2 days. It was so relaxing. We stayed in a piece of junk hotel right close to the beach. (still expensive in my opinion) After arriving in LA, and then taking my very first Taxi ride ever to the hotel, I was a little nautious. Walking into the hotel room made me even more nautious.....because it was very musty. But......I could care less. I was on vacation with my husband....and nobody else to take care of but myself. It was HEAVEN!!! While Emmet was in conference meetings all day Friday......I slept in, got myself Beautied up (in peace and quiet), and found an awesome outdoor shopping place just a block away. I got to eat breakfast at a little 50's diner.....and just people watch. So fun! I love just watching people and seeing all the different personalities and styles out there. After breakfast, I did a little window shopping. I did walk out with a couple things....but was proud that I had some self control. Then after lunch, I went back to the hotel for a 2 1/2 hour nap. Ahhhhhhh. Nice! Emmet and I went back that night and had dinner, watched some of the street entertainment, and we even saw the TWILIGHT movie. Yep, we did! Not having read the books, I can see why all you Twilight fans are hooked. It does make your romantic heart race!
I concluded as I spent all day with my own quiet thoughts......that getting away allowed me to see that I am more depleted than I realize. I'm a little frumpy, a little tattered, a little worn down. I do put everyone else's needs before my own (which I am thankful that I can be home with my children) But, There is also a Michelle in this mother's body. A Michelle who has likes and dislikes, dreams and fantasies, and also needs. I have always thought that I do a good job taking care of myself. I have date night with my husband every week, take piano lessons for personal enrichment, and try to sneak out sometimes with my girl friends. But, raising a family is still a lot of work. I don't give motherhood as much credit as it deserves. So.....I have a renewed goal to take a little better care of me. Because, if I replenish my supply.....then I'll have more to give to my children and my husband. I have seen way too many people who give everything they have to their children, and nothing to themselves or their spouse. Then when the children are gone......they are left searching for who they are, and rebuilding a forgotten romance. So I open up a discussion. How does a mother care for herself......so that she has more to give to her children and husband? How do you fill up your own bucket, without having it detract from your God-given job as a mother? What are some ways to rejuvinate yourself, when your time is limited.....and you're caring for the needs of so many others? I'd love to hear feedback.....because I think taking care of yourself now.....leads to a happier you, a happier family, and a happier marriage.
Low Light Cat Safe Plants
2 years ago

8 comments:
I think this was an awesome post. I am usually one of those mom's that gives and gives and gives until I'm absolutely warn out. I have realized that I need more time for me but haven't gotten around to it. And I only have 2 kids...
So glad that you bring up this point. My desire is how I can take care of myself that doesn't cost money....I did go to the gym but that even was hard to fit into the schedule. Motherhood is hard!! Happy to know that I am in the same boat with others though. Next time you go away- email me and I can get you a room at Marriott for a good deal! Love ya, lish
I totally forgot you were going this weekend. I'm glad you had such a great time. I agree, it is hard finding time for "me" Let me know if you come up with any good ways that don't cost money!
I can relate to the fact that sometimes my needs are overlooked because I am too preoccupied with my kids. I don't do much for myself, but I make sure that I get my hair done once in while. It is expensive, but I feel great, so I am going to keep doing it. I think that the best thing to do is figure out what makes you feel good about yourself and make sure that you do that once in a while...even if it seems frivolous. Some women need to get a massage, or get their nails done. Some women love a good book once in a while. I say, don't feel guilty if you need to pamper yourself once in a while
I totally agree with you! I go to the gym everyday, it is an hour of freedom 5 days a week. Plus you are doing something good for you. I think going and getting a pedicure can make you feel pretty and pampered. I believe in keeping the romance alive. We should all be our husbands girlfriends! If you want more infor on that call me! ha!
I think you have it all figured out! You don't give yourself enough credit. You are so together Michelle, but you are so right that you have to take some time even if it's limited to just refuel every once in awhile!If you don't you begin to just go through the motions instead of living life and enjoying!
How fun -- a mini vacation -- they should be mandatory in life -- it's awesome having a mom who would watch the kids for you -- I hope to be that kind of mom to my kids someday.
Sometimes when I figure out (Late) that I haven't been keeping up with myself spiritually, I have issues. For example, we have family scripture and prayer with our kids but fail to have it with each other. Personal and couple. My mom has a saying on her wall that says;
"Put God first and everything else will fall into place."
Easier said then done, but honestly works! Attending the Temple often always helps Jesse and I too! I have to admit...Life would be a lot more chaotic without the gospel!
Shannon
Post a Comment