So the last couple of days I have had some happy moments. This summer has been somewhat of a whirlwind. We have had sweet happy moments, and we have had grumpy moments. Sometimes I get so overwhelmed as a mother, that I just run around like a chicken with my head cut off.....and I don't even stop to smell the roses. This week I have been trying to slow down and enjoy the funny and sweet things my kids say. It really works!! It has made me really enjoy my kids a lot more. And I think they have enjoyed me more. Braden has a giggle that is so endearing. I noticed it the other night when we were brushing our teeth in the bathroom together. Somehow (don't ask me how).....it ended up in mom (a.k.a.=me) "shaking her booty"....and Braden just giggled. I have stopped a moment or two to watch Kyle light up with excitement as he was telling Emmet something. There was a twinkle in his eyes that I don't always notice. Today when we were at the water park....I had a sweet moment when Kyle came over to grab our bag of fish crackers and ask if he could share some with the friends he had just met. As he was walking away he said, "Because that's what friends do." I have recognized that Dallin's need to be physical doesn't always mean "rough." He gives great hugs and kisses. And Tyson loves to snuggle too. I know that it is difficult to wean a child from thumb-sucking.....but it is so endearing when he snuggles up on my lap with his
PINK soft blanket and sucks his thumb. And of course, I couldn't forget my little angel. I have had people at church tell me that they love to watch her just light up when her little brothers talk to her. I've taken notice more since those comments, and it is true. She knows her brothers, and just grins ear to ear when they come around. It is endearing to see those relationships start so young. It is amazing how life experiences just connect together. I taught the lesson in Young Women's this Sunday and it was about Eternal Perspective. I know this calling is for my benefit, because I feel like I learn so much as I prepare these lessons. This week as I have tried to slow down, I feel like my perspective was able to change. Instead of the normal frazzled, pessimistic "summer" mother......I felt like I was able to view my kids through different lenses. I am thankful for the happy moments.
7 comments:
Thanks for reminding me to take some more time to enjoy my kids! I love peaceful moments, but I know that I will probably also miss the crazy times too.
Amen and amen. Teach me how.
Katie
Thanks for that great idea. With life being so crazy it is hard to just slow down. I do need to try that once in a while for my sanity!
Thanks for the reminder- we do forget and probably too often! I will have to do that more- thanks for helping me see more of the eternal perspective in things! lish
I love the days that I can actually do that. I'm excited to hear about your boys first day of school. Call me!!
Not to repeat the other comments, but thanks for taking the time to write that. It made me stop and think about my kids' special traits and reminds me not to take them for granted! I loved your family picture too. The colors and quality look amazing.
I am so glad that you found ways to appreciate all of your kids -- I want to seek out those special qualities in my own. Eliz -- PS - it is nice to see you each morning. I feel your pain taking two extra kids each day who have to return home with you -- if only we could find a babysitter for 15 min each day :(
Post a Comment